Saturday 29 June 2013

Zen Zulu - A little piece of heaven

On my recent and very brief trip back to South Africa I had the privilege of staying at Zen Zulu Lodge in the Zululand Rhino Reserve which is about 3 hours drive from Durban. This is a lovely private game lodge that accommodates eight people and you have exclusive use of the lodge. Upon entering the main lodge you get an immediate understanding for the reasons behind the name. With a combination of Buddha’s and African décor the open plan lodge provides the perfect harmony for a relaxing and event filled stay.

Woolie in the background

Built next to a dam the large wooden deck with rim flow pool allows you to lounge by the pool or put your feet up with a mug of hot choccie and some Ouma’s rusks while Africa’s greatest waddle by for a drink or two. If you are lucky you may even get some more action. I have once witnessed the local dam resident (‘Woolie’ the croc) being chased by a larger croc out of the dam, well that’s what we thought until my latest trip back when I learnt that Woolie is in fact a female and that the larger croc was more likely a rowdy male trying to source a ‘good time’.



Wooden deck overlooking the dam



The rooms are set separately on either side of the lodge allowing for privacy and enhancing the sensation of literally sleeping in the bush. They are quaint little thatch rondavels each with its own private wooden deck. The highlight of the rooms for me is the outdoor bathrooms! Ever had a hot shower outside in the African Winter? What a feeling! Better yet a bubble bath under the clear starlit skies. I don’t know about you but these aspects are my kind of treat. 

Our Rondavel

Outdoor Shower


Outdoor Bath
 
Game drives are done at about 3pm and 6am. Early I know, especially when you have been kept awake the whole night by roaring lions, how inconvenient! Drives are taken by the friendly and characteristic lodge manager Anthony and a very knowledgeable ranger called Steve. Often people can go to the bush and be so focused on seeing the infamous ‘Big Five’ that they forget to appreciate the small things which, more often than not, are more interesting than the larger things are impressive. Steve was great at showing us an appreciation for the trees and what the local tribes use each type for. I can now tell you what to do if you want to be more fertile? Have a bigger winky? Enlarge your breasts? Brush your teeth without a tooth brush? Or make a broom? Although I can’t say I have tried tested them personally.

The lodge is self-catering but there is a big boma next to the lodge that has a fire lit when you return from your afternoon game drive. There is little else that makes me happier than sitting by the fire, drink in hand and some handy male (normally my pops) sizzling up some lovely South African meat!

Ahhhh… I miss it already ;(

Sun rise, overlooking the dam with a family of hippos




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your comments here...