Monday 27 May 2013

South Africans networking in London!



Everyone knows that South West London is over-run with Saffas and as a result the names Putneyfontein (Putney) and Saffafields (Southfields) have developed. I've dabbled a bit in East Putney and Southfields, the Grid, myself.

This time my relationship lead me North and I currently reside on a lovely little road called Englands Lane which is nestled at the bottom of Primrose Hill. I love the area it's great and when I first moved I was very excited about this new Saffa-free zone of London. I was going to branch out, meet new people of different nationalities and absorb all that is North London. Whislt I defintely take advantage of living in the North (2 tube stops to central, cute coffee shops, quaint little lanes, the infamous Hampstead Heath and of course the hill itself) I find myself missing hearing that familiar twang from home. South West is abundant with little 'ahhh I miss home' reminicents: milo, Chakalaka, the sweet smell of a braai, knick nacks and boerie. Up North I feel like I am million miles away with no familiaries in sight and even though the District Line makes me rage like an authentic London commuter I do enjoy my visits back South.

My most recent trip back Wimbles took me to a South African Womens Networking event. One great thing about London is that there is so many of these networkng events available and you can go and not know half the people there already.

I was so blown away by the dynamic and successful women that I met there and how motivated I felt when I left. It is not often that you find women going out on a limb, taking some risks and starting out on their own, so to end up in a room with 30 odd women who have done just this and been successful was very liberating.

I now have a contact in social media, a blind company, a nutrionist, a personal trainer, an events and PR agency, a magazine editor, an incredible ukelele player and singer and a seriously valuable travel agent.

What impressed me even more was their willingness to support and help each other. Here we are just a few South African women in a kitchen show room in South London just sticking together, the way we should ;)

It's not what you know, it's who knows you!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your comments here...